The Benefits of Mindfulness
Literally thousands of research studies have been performed to examine the process and benefits of mindfulness. The science is clear: mindfulness practice offers profound benefits on multiple fronts—physical, psychological, and interpersonal. Here are some of the benefits that have been documented:
Effects of Mindfulness Practice
- Overall health: Strengthens the immune system and shortens illness recovery time.
- Stress: Reduces stress and feelings of being overwhelmed.
- Emotion regulation: Reduces anxiety, depression, and anger.
- Interpersonal relations: Increases empathy and compassion.
- Work output: Improves concentration, focus, and efficiency.
- Communication skills: Enhances calmness and clarity in communication.
- Decision-making: Improves long-term goal clarity and decisiveness.
- Cognitive ability: Improves mental acuity and creativity.
These are only a few of the benefits of mindfulness practice, but the common thread among all of these may be the ability of mindfulness to create a spacious, restful place in the mind from which our best selves can spring forth, freed from the usual mental clutter that weighs us down and often trips us up.